Thanksgiving: Pumpkin Spice Squash Soup with Rosemary Marshmallows
London-based sssssoupsssss, brainchild of Theresa von Wangenheim, took off during lockdown as a form of therapy. Since then, Theresa’s soup diary has been featured in British VOGUE and German WELT – and partnered with brands such as M Missoni and Alina Abegg. Sssssoupsssss is a multidisciplinary love letter to soup brought to life in Theresa’s signature blue-rimmed bowl.
This soup recipe is a nod to a rather contentious Thanksgiving dish: candied sweet potatoes with marshmallows. In the interest of happy guests, the soup itself is not candied, and the marshmallows are entirely optional (though the rosemary-marshmallow contrast is surprisingly delightful). The addition of pumpkin pie spice and chilli flakes lends the soup warmth and a little kick, while the crispy rosemary adds texture and contrasting herbiness.
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 small or 2 large shallots (peeled & sliced)
4 garlic cloves (peeled & sliced)
1 delica squash (de-seeded and carefully chopped into crescents, skin peeled off, cut into cubes)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Ca. 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
2 rosemary stems
Optional: mini marshmallows
Pumpkin Spice Squash Soup with Rosemary Marshmallows Recipe
Instructions (serves 4-6 depending on the size of your squash)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot, then add in the shallots and sauté until softened on a low flame (should take around 5 minutes)
- Add in the garlic and sauté for 5 further minutes
- Add in squash pieces, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes, then sprinkle in the pumpkin pie spice, cover with the broth and simmer for 20ish minutes (until everything is softened)
- Meanwhile, prepare the rosemary marshmallow croutons: cut the rosemary into 4cm pieces, and pierce 2 mini marshmallows to the end of each. Holding the rosemary side, briefly sear the marshmallows on your stovetop flame until they slightly caramelise. Cool for a few moments, then crisp the rosemary ends in a bit of oil or butter in a pan. Alternatively, ignore the marshmallows and simply fry a handful of rosemary stems in a bit of oil or butter until crispy and fragrant.
- Blend the soup and serve across 4-6 bowls
- Drizzle a spoon of olive oil over each bowl, followed by a sprinkling of chilli flakes and the rosemary marshmallows (or just rosemary)